Friday, June 17, 2005

Trip to Grande Prairie

Grande Prairie turned out to be much better than I thought it would be. It is really quite beautiful here, both in terms of the friendliness of the people and the landscape. I chose to stay at a B&B, rather than another dreary hotel, and boy am I ever glad that I did. If you ever have reason to come to Grande Prairie, I highly recommend staying at Maple Meadows Country B&B. It is owned by a retired couple from Edmonton, and they run a top-notch establishment here. The yard is lush and green, and very quiet. The house is a perfect blend of country simplicity and modernity. My room is amazing – big, fluffy queen sized bed, a lovely soaker tub, a big red leather chair parked in front of the satellite TV and the fireplace, the private balcony, the fresh flowers on a table in the corner….this has turned out feeling more like a vacation and less like work. And don’t get me started on the breakfasts – I feel like I am getting way more than what I’ve paid for!

The people of Grande Prairie have been so kind to me, both in the hospital and out-and-about. They have a great trail system here, and last night I went for a run. True story! I actually ran. Don’t ask me where the motivation for doing such a thing came from. I got the giggles because there are frequent signs reminding trail users of the presence of moose and bears. Of course I thought of Shelley and her bear attack. Anyway, people always smiled and said hello to me. It’s nice to be in cities where this happens on a regular basis. Grande Prairie is used to seeing lots of business people (in fact this city has the highest number of millionaires per capita of all cities in Canada) and tourists (it’s a gateway to the North). This comes in handy – wait staff are used to seeing lone diners in their restaurants and are quick to offer magazines and newspapers to their patrons. The people in the hospital were amazing as well – so helpful and chatty. Some days I spent more time talking than working (this is not unusual for me!!). Of course the presence of another lesbian in the department didn’t help matters much.... :)

Despite the chatting, I managed to finish my patients early and decided to drive to Fairview to view a couple of patient charts. It was about an hour’s drive, and it was beautiful – very green and hilly. I especially enjoyed driving down into the Dunvegan valley and over the largest suspension bridge in Alberta. Fairview is your typical Albertan small town: no fast food joints, lots of hardware stores, all the lamp posts on Main Street had baskets of flowers hanging on them, and every house had a vegetable garden out back. The hospital had a boot rack at the entrance, and there were actually boots sitting on them! The health records staff knew the charts by the patient’s name rather than their number. And again, they were so chatty! And unlike the small towns Shelley and I encountered in the Badlands, the theme song to Deliverance never once came to mind!

On the way back to Grande Prairie I stopped at the Dunvegan Provincial park and took a wander around, learning about the history of the area, from when the North West Trading Company came, to when the Hudson’s Bay Company took over, from the arrival of the missionaries, to the signing of Treaty 8 with the Natives of the area. I always enjoy a good history lesson, and a good walk down by the river.

Anyway, I head home tomorrow morning. I’m anxious to see Shelley and the dogs!! And I wonder where I will get sent to next….Calgary I think!

No comments: