Sunday, August 28, 2005

Inspirations

One of the best things about dining by yourself is that you are free to listen to all the conversations going on around you. This happened to me last night. I was eating an amazing halibut and shrimp dinner, drinking a glass of Yellowtail Shiraz, and eavesdropping on the family sitting behind me. Two of them, a couple, had just returned from teaching English in Korea. From the sounds of it, although they are both from Vancouver Island, they met and fell in love in Korea. Anyway, I got to hear all about their adventures, the people they met, the memorable food, how many times Air Canada lost their luggage, etc. I could relate to so many of their stories, and I found myself taking part in their conversations in my head. I even chuckled out loud a few times. It got me all excited about going overseas again.

There were two other women at the table (the mothers, I think). They were talking about their weight, and how they had both been working so hard at losing it. One of them had lost 50 pounds and was just soooooo excited about it! She felt she had only 20 pounds left to go, and was struggling with them - they weren't coming off as fast as the first 20 did. But, she was just so positive and energized. It made me feel great! And guilty about all the food I was eating....

Anyway, the point is, I often talk to friends and family about my travels and my desire to shed a few pounds, but I always leave those encounters feeling guilty (for wanting to leave) and discouraged ("but I like you just the way you are, you don't have to lose weight"). But listening in on conversations that have nothing to do with me, but everything to do with me, was totally inspirational!

No comments: