Monday, November 29, 2004

my dream last night

I had a dream last night that really shook me up. It's still bothering me. Here it is:

It takes place in a kitchen. This kitchen looked familiar to me, felt familiar to me too. It was only on the walk to work this morning that I realized it was Kristy's dream kitchen, the one she's described to me often. Anyway, this kitchen is huge and it has an island in the middle of it. Instead of have a floor around this island, there's an ocean. There are a whole bunch of people in this kitchen. I know them in my dream, but I don't think I know them in real life (although they did seem to feel familiar to me). I am swimming and diving in this ocean, completely enthralled by the life under there. I feel so very happy and fulfilled, I can't stop smiling, and I feel like I've just discovered a lost world or something like that. I come up for air, and I tell the others in the kitchen that they have to come down and see all the amazing things that live under the kitchen. I tell them, "the deeper you go, the more amazing it is". They keep telling my that they're busy - there's a party and they are cooking for it. But I persist. I want to share that incredible feeling I had with them. I keep telling them that there is a whole other world down there, one that most people don't get to see, and it's right here, under our kitchen!

So, eventually, all of these people dive under the kitchen with me. But I am still alone when I'm under there. I don't feel alone, but the others don't seem to be a part of my experience under there - I'm not even aware of their absence. Anyway, I'm swimming along, and this huge fish with a very large mouth charges me. It comes at me with it's mouth wide open, kind of like a Moray eel or something. I'm scared out of my mind, and I begin to panic. And in a moment of panic, I throw a serving plate (and I have no idea where it came from) into it's mouth, and this seems to buy me a few extra seconds before I get swallowed by this thing. And then I have this insight that if I swim to the surface and stay there, I will be safe. I keep repeating to myself "things will be safe on the surface" as I swim back up to the kitchen.

When I pull myself up onto "land", I notice that the water is starting to ice over. I see the others swimming toward the surface too. Except they aren't adults anymore, they are children. I start pulling them all out, one by one, they are so scared, I can see it in their eyes. And they are upset with me. They ask me why I told them it was so beautiful the deeper you go, when really it's a scary place full of monsters, and you can get trapped down there. But they are thankful that I rescued them.

And then I wonder if they are right. I look at the ice. After all the children are out, the ice melts back to water again, and the ocean is back. I feel the temptation to jump in again, but I start to panic at the thought of it. I just know that it's safer on the surface, even though it's so very beautiful down there. I know that I need to jump back in again, but I'm just too scared. And I wake up with that feeling of panic.

Nice one, eh?

No comments: